How to Donate Clothing to Charity
Americans each discard an average of 68 pounds of clothes every year. By donating
your clothing to charity, you can put some of that to good use.
Here are some tips on clearing out your closet and helping others enjoy your unwanted
clothing and textiles.
Clean Out The Closet
Do a thorough declutter
of the space that you want to clear out. Make the donation pile so that you know
what's ready to go. When sorting through your clothes, consider:
1. Whether you really need that many t-shirts, sweaters, skirts, etc.
2. Whether you're clinging to too many baby and toddler clothes that might be better
used by other children in need.
3. Whether a particular garment or accessory still fits and flatters you or the
person who wears it.
Prepare the clothes
While you don't have to go to any particular trouble, the following things can help
1. Check all the pockets. Staff of charity stores are used to finding money, jewelry
and other forgotten items. While they might do their best to return these items
to you, often it's like looking for a needle in a haystack knowing who owned the
2. Wash the clothes if you can.
3. Don't forget we accept shoes, and accessories. Please make sure shoes are in
the same bag so they don't get separated in transit.
Donate bath towels, blankets, and sheets.
Even towels and bedding that are threadbare can have a second life as they are used
for cleaning up, and recycling.
Put the clothes, bedding, and other items into suitable containers.
Containers that are suitable include plastic garbage bags, unwanted tote and other
bags (they'll get resold too if in good condition), baskets,boxes, etc.
Click here and we will come and collect it. You do not have
to be home to donate and we will leave you a tax receipt. If you prefer to use the drop boxes click below for the nearest
boxes to you.